Labels

#blog12daysxmas (24) #blogjune (30) #cf14 (12) 2008 Victorian Community History Awards (1) 2009 Victorian Community History Awards (1) Abbotsford (23) Abbotsford Convent (8) Abbotsford Street (2) Alan Marshall (1) Albert Hall (1) Alexandra Parade (1) Baptist Church (2) Beacon Lighting (1) Bells (2) Boroondara Cemetery (2) Brickmakers' Arms Hotel (1) CARA (1) Caroline Hogg (2) Carringbush Hotel (1) Cemeteries (2) cf14 (1) Charity (1) Christmas (2) Church of Christ Tabernacle (1) Cinema Italia (1) City of Collingwood (2) Clarke Street (1) Clement Hodgkinson (1) Clifton Cinema (1) Clifton Hill (37) Clifton Hill Hotel (1) Clifton Hill Primary School 1360 (1) Clifton Hill Station (1) Clifton's (1) Clouds (3) Colleen Burke (1) Collingwood (22) Collingwood Council (2) Collingwood Football Club (3) Collingwood Historical Society (2) Collingwood Library (2) Collingwood Town Hall (4) Collingwood United Masonic Temple (1) Colour (3) Community Garden (1) Cottages (1) Councillors (1) Court Perseverance (1) Craft (2) Dalkeith (1) Daniel Mannix (1) Daniel O'Connell Hotel (1) Darling Gardens (2) Denton Hat Mills (1) Dight's Falls (2) Dummett Crescent (1) Earth (3) Easey Street (1) Easter (2) Eliza "Granny" Foster (1) emotion (2) Endings (2) Esk (1) Faith (1) Fingers (3) Flickr (19) Flickr Challenge Friday (12) Flockhart Street (1) fluff (3) Fluff Hair (1) Forester's Hall (1) Fox Hotel (1) Foy and Gibson (7) fp13 (27) fp2012 (26) Frederick Warming (1) Friendly Societies Hotel (1) Friends (3) Friends of the Earth (2) Gahans Reserve (1) Games (3) Gipps Street (1) Gold Street (3) Gold Street Primary (2) Good Shepherd Sisters (3) Green (2) Groom Street (1) History (2) Hoddle Street (2) Hodgkinson Street (1) Hotels (4) Illumination (3) Infoxchange (1) International Women's Day (1) J. Forbes Mackenzie (2) John Forde (1) John Wren (2) Johnston Street (5) Keele Street (1) Kerry Greenwood (1) Kew (1) Kinross (1) Kristin Otto (1) Landscape (3) Langridge Street (2) Larry Harrigan (1) Little Tony's (1) love (1) Maps (1) Marie Louise Bernadou (1) Mary Forde (1) Mater Street (1) Maureen McCarthy (1) Max Meldrum (1) Maximilian Kreitmayer (1) Mayor (1) Mayors (1) Mayors Park (1) Melbourne General Cemetery (1) Mercury and Weekly Courier (2) Merri Creek (1) National Trust tree Register (1) Nicholson Street (2) Norman Trescowthick (1) North Terrace Clifton Hill (1) Oxford Street (3) Page Street (2) Park Hotel (2) Park Street (1) Peel Street (2) Penguins (1) Peter Fitzpatrick (1) Phoenix Hotel (1) Phryne Fisher (1) Publications (2) Punters Palace Hotel (1) Queens Parade (12) Rainbows (2) Raines Reserve (1) Reading (1) Rebecca Jamieson (1) Remote (3) Retreat Hotel (1) Rita Jamieson (2) Robert McLeish (1) Samian Social Club (1) Schools (1) Shiny (3) Shoes (2) Shot Tower (1) Sisters of Charity (1) Smith Street (7) Socks (2) St John the Baptist Catholic Church (8) St Nicholas' Croatian Catholic Church (2) Stitches (3) Surfaces (3) Technology (3) Terminus Hotel (1) Terrace Gardens (1) The Star (2) Thomas Tunnecliffe (1) Tower Hotel (1) Trueform Boot Factory (1) Union of Australian Women (2) United Kingdom Hotel (2) Victoria Park (4) Victoria Street (1) Victorian Parliament (1) Village Belle Hotel (2) Water (1) Wellington Street (5) Wesleyan Church (2) Westgarth (1) Westleigh (1) Whybrows (1) Wildlife (2) William Nicholls (1) William Rain (1) Wind (3) Yarra Bend Park (1) Yarra Hotel (1) Yarra River (3) Yarradale Flats (1)

Flickr Photostream

Follow by Email

Followers

A blog about the history of the former Melbourne municipality of Collingwood.

25 March 2012

Bernadou grave at Boroondara Cemetery 52/12/2

Bernadou grave at Boroondara Cemetery 52/12/2 by Collingwood Historical Society
Bernadou grave at Boroondara Cemetery 52/12/2, a photo by Collingwood Historical Society on Flickr.

This photo is one of the Collingwood Historical Society's contributions to the Flickr Friday Photos theme of "Cemeteries".

As stated in the previous post, the area of Collingwood had no cemetery of its own so its residents tend to be buried either in Melbourne General Cemetery in neighbouring Carlton or in Boroondara Cemetery up the hill in Kew.

Marie Louise Bernadou is an example of someone with a Collingwood connection who is buried in Kew. As can be seen from the plaque she is buried her with her brother and sister-in-law and some of their family in the Church of England section of the cemetery. Her parents, Jean-Baptiste and Elizabeth, are also buried in the cemetery but in the Baptist section.

Marie Louise lived as a child with her French carpenter father and his English wife in Mason Street Collingwood. She won a scholarship to the Presbyterian Ladies College and after matriculating entered the University of Melbourne and graduated in 1897 with first class honours. Her graduation photo is shown below.



Marie Louise worked as a governess and a Matriculation coach and taught French at King's College in North Terrace, Clifton Hill. Later she completed a Diploma of Education and joined the Education Department. There is further information about Marie Louise in the Collingwood Historical Society history of schools, Bitter Roots, Sweet Fruit.


18 March 2012

Roman Catholic section at north of Melbourne General Cemetery 52/12/1

This photo is part of the Flickr Friday Photo group under the theme of "Cemeteries".

The municipality of Collingwood does not have a cemetery within its boundaries. As a result of this those connected with Collingwood are most commonly buried in either the Melbourne General Cemetery in neighbouring Carlton to the west or at the Boroondara Cemetery to the east in Kew.

The photograph shows the Roman Catholic section at the north of the Melbourne General Cemetery. Unfortunately the cemetery website is currently "under development" so we can't show any specific graves with Collingwood connections. But we do know that there were Catholics in Collingwood from early days as is evidenced by the early establishment of St Joseph's in Otter Street. A number of hoteliers were Catholic and some had memorial glass in St Joseph's. Most likely they would have been buried here.

One interesting Collingwood character whom we do know to be buried here is Eliza "Granny" Foster who probably staked John Wren when he first set up the Tote. She certainly owned the property. When she died in July 1913, Wren's refusal to accept her estate made headlines. "Granny" Foster died in Hodgkinson Street Clifton Hill and was buried in Melbourne General Cemetery.

12 March 2012

Collingwood United Masonic Temple

Collingwood United Masonic Temple by Collingwood Historical Society
Collingwood United Masonic Temple, a photo by Collingwood Historical Society on Flickr.

This photo is part of the Flickr Friday Photos 2012 group under the theme 'Craft".

Architectural evidence of the Arts and Crafts movement is not very prevalent in a predominantly 19th century place such as Collingwood. But there are some examples. Collingwood United Masonic Temple was built in 1928/9 at 141 Gipps Street, Abbotsford, by Freemason architect, Bro. Harry Little and builders Morison Bros Pty Ltd. the heritage citation for it states: "
The hipped terracotta tiled roof has projecting eaves, imparting an Arts and Crafts feel".

For more information about the building check out the full entry in the City of Yarra Heritage database.

Yarradale Flats

This photo is part of the Flickr Friday Photos 2012 group under the theme "Craft".

Yarradale Flats were built at 29 Clarke Street Abbotsford for Daniel Keir in 1926. Yarradale is of local architectural significance as one of very few blocks of flats in the former City of Collingwood dating from the interwar years. It displays influences of the Arts & Crafts Movement, notably in the clink brick arched entrance.

For further information check out the City of Yarra Heritage database.

Craftsman Larry Harrigan's work 52/11/1

This photograph is part of the Flickr Friday Photos 2012 group under the theme of "Craft".

We don't know much about the many craftsmen who would have worked on the building of Collingwood Town Hall. But we do know about the work of Master Plasterer Larry Harrigan who worked on the restoration of the building in the 1980s.

This photo of the south east corner of the building shows many examples of work that needed the hands of a skilled craftsman like Larry. Examples of this are the capitals of the columns, the window arch, the parapet in front of the window and the urns on top.

There are a number of photos of Larry at work. You can see them here. There is also a DVD about him available at Collingwood Library. One of them is shown below where he puts the finishing touches to a cement-rendered urn similar ro those in the photograph at the beginning of the post.

Darling Gardens Clifton Hill 52/10/3

Like nearby Raines Reserve, Darling Gardens permanently reserved by Order 12 December 1866 is one of three sites in the former City of Collingwood to be featured on the National Trust Tree Register. The third site is the grounds of the Abbotsford Convent.

Darling Gardens has two trees on the register a holm oak (quercus ilex) of regional significance in an historic garden or park and an English elm (ulmus procera). The elm's context is also an historic garden but is considered an outstanding example of the species and its estimated age in February 2011 was given as about 120 years.

Plants were provided initially by von Mueller and later early plantings had their origin in Scott's nursery in Hawthorn.

Mayors' Park in late afternoon 52/10/2

This photo of part of the Flickr Friday Photos 2012 group under the theme "Green".

Like the previous reserve, Raines, Rain's or Raines Reserve, this nearby Reserve has also suffered from spelling aberrations. It appears these days in Melways and Google as "Mayors" Park. But in the 1897 MMBW map it appears as Mayor's and for some reason I had always thought as it was celebrating Mayors of Collingwood that it would be Mayors' but maybe it was meant to celebrate the Mayor of the day only. The Park appears in the 1869 de Gruchy map as Mayor's Park and appears always to have been allocated as a reserve.

Raines Reserve 52/10/1

This photo is part of the Flickr Friday photos 2012 group under the theme "green".

Raines Reserve is the current name of a small reserve in Clifton Hill at the junction of Heidelberg Road and Queens Parade and leading to the former United Kingdom Hotel. It was called after Cr William Rain who was Mayor of Collingwood in 1904/5 and more properly should be called Rain's Reserve but as time has passed the spelling has changed. Rain was a long term member of Collingwood Council and Chairman of the Council Public Works Committee as well as a Commissioner of the MMBW. An architect by profession he was born in Geelong but lived in Collingwood for most of his life. In parallel to his time on Collingwood Council he was also for a time a Councillor and Shire President for Dandenong.

Rain's Reserve is not shown in Kearney, de Gruchy, or the MMBW maps featuring Collingwood but is on the 1921 map (go to Maps Online section of Collingwood Historical Society website). The Sands and McDougall directories need more research but because of the nature of the site that part of Collingwood is not always easy to find so we are not really sure when this Reserve came into being and when it was named.

The Collingwood Historical Society has one historical photo of the reserve. This photo represented below is probably dated between 1912 and 1917 because of the businesses shown. You can see that the layout of the Reserve has changed in recent times with the central pathway now going right through to the apex.

The holm oak or Quercus Ilex shown in the photograph at the top of the post is one of the few trees in the former City of Collingwood that is included in the National Trust Tree Register as being of Regional Significance. In another quirk of spelling the National Trust Register spells the name of the reserve as "Raine's" and places the Reserve on the intersection of Queens Parade and Alexandra Parade. The Reserve is otherwise not named on Google maps.

If you have any further information about Raines Reserve or William Rain we would love to hear from you.

03 March 2012

Opposites: hotel reused as fast food outlet 52/9/1

This photo is part of the Flickr Friday photos 2012 challenge under the theme "Opposites". The obvious opposite was the reuse of a building, the former United Kingdom Hotel Clifton Hill, as an outlet of McDonalds. But there are a few opposites here: hotel/McDonalds, alcohol/no alcohol, park/McDonalds. Maybe you can think of more?

The former United Kingdom Hotel at the intersection of Queens Parade and Heidelberg Road Clifton Hill operated from 1878 until it was delicensed in 1988 and became an outlet of McDonalds. You can see the Victorian hotel in this photo from 1887 and in this 1905 image. This building is also the one that you can see in the 1904 MMBW map of the area. In this map a section of which is shown below you can see the layout of the building, the verandahs and yard and the WCs for the patrons. You can also see a horse trough to the left. A Bills horse trough still stands on the site though it is probably not the same one as the current one is located further to the south and Bills horse troughs were constructed later than 1904. There are photos of it here.

The hotel was near the terminus of the cable tram and no doubt shared some of the resulting trade with the Terminus Hotel on the Fitzroy side. The current building in the Moderne style dates to 1937/38 with Queens Parade additions in 1957/58. There is more information about the hotel in the Hotels section of the Collingwood Historical Society website.

Total Pageviews

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed