Labels

#blog12daysxmas (24) #blogjune (30) #cf14 (12) 2008 Victorian Community History Awards (1) 2009 Victorian Community History Awards (1) Abbotsford (23) Abbotsford Convent (8) Abbotsford Street (2) Alan Marshall (1) Albert Hall (1) Alexandra Parade (1) Baptist Church (2) Beacon Lighting (1) Bells (2) Boroondara Cemetery (2) Brickmakers' Arms Hotel (1) CARA (1) Caroline Hogg (2) Carringbush Hotel (1) Cemeteries (2) cf14 (1) Charity (1) Christmas (2) Church of Christ Tabernacle (1) Cinema Italia (1) City of Collingwood (2) Clarke Street (1) Clement Hodgkinson (1) Clifton Cinema (1) Clifton Hill (37) Clifton Hill Hotel (1) Clifton Hill Primary School 1360 (1) Clifton Hill Station (1) Clifton's (1) Clouds (3) Colleen Burke (1) Collingwood (22) Collingwood Council (2) Collingwood Football Club (3) Collingwood Historical Society (2) Collingwood Library (2) Collingwood Town Hall (4) Collingwood United Masonic Temple (1) Colour (3) Community Garden (1) Cottages (1) Councillors (1) Court Perseverance (1) Craft (2) Dalkeith (1) Daniel Mannix (1) Daniel O'Connell Hotel (1) Darling Gardens (2) Denton Hat Mills (1) Dight's Falls (2) Dummett Crescent (1) Earth (3) Easey Street (1) Easter (2) Eliza "Granny" Foster (1) emotion (2) Endings (2) Esk (1) Faith (1) Fingers (3) Flickr (19) Flickr Challenge Friday (12) Flockhart Street (1) fluff (3) Fluff Hair (1) Forester's Hall (1) Fox Hotel (1) Foy and Gibson (7) fp13 (27) fp2012 (26) Frederick Warming (1) Friendly Societies Hotel (1) Friends (3) Friends of the Earth (2) Gahans Reserve (1) Games (3) Gipps Street (1) Gold Street (3) Gold Street Primary (2) Good Shepherd Sisters (3) Green (2) Groom Street (1) History (2) Hoddle Street (2) Hodgkinson Street (1) Hotels (4) Illumination (3) Infoxchange (1) International Women's Day (1) J. Forbes Mackenzie (2) John Forde (1) John Wren (2) Johnston Street (5) Keele Street (1) Kerry Greenwood (1) Kew (1) Kinross (1) Kristin Otto (1) Landscape (3) Langridge Street (2) Larry Harrigan (1) Little Tony's (1) love (1) Maps (1) Marie Louise Bernadou (1) Mary Forde (1) Mater Street (1) Maureen McCarthy (1) Max Meldrum (1) Maximilian Kreitmayer (1) Mayor (1) Mayors (1) Mayors Park (1) Melbourne General Cemetery (1) Mercury and Weekly Courier (2) Merri Creek (1) National Trust tree Register (1) Nicholson Street (2) Norman Trescowthick (1) North Terrace Clifton Hill (1) Oxford Street (3) Page Street (2) Park Hotel (2) Park Street (1) Peel Street (2) Penguins (1) Peter Fitzpatrick (1) Phoenix Hotel (1) Phryne Fisher (1) Publications (2) Punters Palace Hotel (1) Queens Parade (12) Rainbows (2) Raines Reserve (1) Reading (1) Rebecca Jamieson (1) Remote (3) Retreat Hotel (1) Rita Jamieson (2) Robert McLeish (1) Samian Social Club (1) Schools (1) Shiny (3) Shoes (2) Shot Tower (1) Sisters of Charity (1) Smith Street (7) Socks (2) St John the Baptist Catholic Church (8) St Nicholas' Croatian Catholic Church (2) Stitches (3) Surfaces (3) Technology (3) Terminus Hotel (1) Terrace Gardens (1) The Star (2) Thomas Tunnecliffe (1) Tower Hotel (1) Trueform Boot Factory (1) Union of Australian Women (2) United Kingdom Hotel (2) Victoria Park (4) Victoria Street (1) Victorian Parliament (1) Village Belle Hotel (2) Water (1) Wellington Street (5) Wesleyan Church (2) Westgarth (1) Westleigh (1) Whybrows (1) Wildlife (2) William Nicholls (1) William Rain (1) Wind (3) Yarra Bend Park (1) Yarra Hotel (1) Yarra River (3) Yarradale Flats (1)

Flickr Photostream

Follow by Email

Followers

A blog about the history of the former Melbourne municipality of Collingwood.

28 April 2012

Former Trueform Boot Factory 52/13/1

The former Trueform Boot factory, situated on the south east corner of Groom and Roseneath Streets Clifton Hill, was one of many boot factories in the area. It is of particular interest as it was here that the well-known Australian writer Alan Marshall worked.

In the 19th century Collingwood became known as the capital of Australia's boot and shoe manufacturing industry. At the start of the 1900s south-east Clifton Hill was a mix of houses, factories and paddocks. Boot and shoe factories developed in east Clifton Hill from the 1900s and there were a large number operating in the 1920s and 1930s. The last closed down in the 1970s.

The Sands and McDougall Directories list businesses in the area over the years. The first listing on the Groom Street frontage was the Pitman Shoe Company in 1917 (37-41 Groom St). In 1923 Halsey and Son, boot manufacturers, had arrived, to be replaced in 1924 by Trueform Boot and Shoe Co Pty Ltd. The Trueform Boot and Shoe Company were listed at 43 Groom Street until 1936, but by 1938 had gone into liquidation and had been replaced by A Pattison and Co., furniture manufacturers.
This photo is one of the Collingwood Historical Society's contributions to the Flickr Friday Photos 2012 challenge under the theme of Shoes.

Alan Marshall worked as an accountant at the factory during the early 1930s Depression and vividly recorded life in the factory in his autobiographical novel How beautiful are thy feet. The book was first published in 1949 and refers to the factory as the 'Modern Shoe Company'.

No comments:

Total Pageviews

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed